Chris Hornbeck

Default 16 bit vs 24 bit, 44.1khz vs 48 khz <-- please explain

On 18 Nov 2003 08:02:16 GMT, (Garthrr) wrote:

So is this point a matter of contention or is this agreed upon by all?

I think all could agree that it's possible in an imaginary perfect
device to sample and reconstruct from the samples, a Nyquist-
criterium signal, perfectly.
When quantization is added, agreement falters.

Much confusion arises from looking at the three elements of PCM,
anti-alias filtering, sampling, and quantization, in isolation.
Thinking in terms of large and slow signals, and incorrectly
assuming monotonicity, can also cause difficulty.

Thanks,

Chris Hornbeck
new email address

"That is my theory, and what it is too."
Anne Elk