Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

Default EV RE55

On 2/19/2012 8:20 PM, Roy W. Rising wrote:
(Scott Dorsey) wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:
Based on the accolades by Roy W. Rising (and because of an experience I
had with one 30 years ago) I just bought an EV RE55. While I probably
paid too much for it, they aren't exactly making them any more. It will
be interesting to test it out.

And how is it?

I haven't used one for years, I just remember using one on a guitar on
stage and getting the cleanest sound, and with gain before feedback that
was better than an SM-57... and wondering "how the hell do they do that
with an omni?"
--scott

EV Co-Founder Lou Burroughs always said "Start with an omni. If you hear
too much room, move it closer. Only when you can't move it close enough
should you *consider* a more directional mic." [Emphasis his.] Directional
mics have unpublished and unpredictable off-axis lobes that seem to hunger
for feedback.

I've told here before of setting up an omni EV 635A on a stand about eight
feet from a very accurate side fill monitor. I raised the mic's gain to
the point of feedback and backed it down 6 dB. When the singer arrived for
a sound check, he asked me to turn it down even more.

Omnis could be given better understanding and experimentation. Sometimes
we jump to a perceived problem solver before the problem is revealed. Are
we sometimes missing something?

I have NEVER had success using an omni mic, but then again, I don't have a
studio or environment with the right acoustics. When I get the RE55, I'm going
to do some experimentation.

For many years, I was of the opinion that dynamic mics were used only when a
condenser was not available. (Yes, I'm exaggerating - a little.) Since playing
with several dynamic mics, (RE20, PR40, M99, ATR2100) I've changed my opinion.

Roy, please look for the post with questions for you from Richard Webb about
Lawrence Welk. I'm anxious to hear your responses.