Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

Default EV RE55

Roy W. Rising writes:

snips

In the early '70s the music director on The Lawrence Show insisted on a
single RE55 for the drum kit. Placement was a few inches behind the top
edge of the kick drum, essentially in the center of the kit. It sounded
OK, but the player at that time did not give me a valid reference. I've
often wanted to record drums with a clip-on lapel mic to hear what the
player is hearing.

Hi Roy -

Occasionally I'll stumble across an old LW from the 70s on PBS, and be intrigued at
the sound. It's clean and everything can be heard, and interesting that all or
nearly every mic on stage is an EV product.

I'm always curious:

- was LW audio all live? Was anything pre-recorded with the band just playing along
for the video?

- if it was live, was it live-mixed to the VTR, or was it multi-tracked and
mixed/sweetened later? (I could tell stories about trying to lock an MM1000-8 and
MM1200-16 to an AVR2, but that's a tale best told another time! w)

- were these done in a network studio, such as CBS Television City or NBC Burbank,
or was an independent facility used?

- what console(s) was being used? Much EQ or comp in use?

- anything ever done in stereo?

- recently caught a show from perhaps the late 70s that along with the EVs had what
looked like three U47s in use on brass, but they appeared just a hair too skinny for
47s, yet too fat and not long enough to be the large-diaphragm AKGs of that era.
Does that ring a bell? What was being used?

- I never hear any reverb on the LW shows; I assume that was intentional, or was
there limited access to live chambers or good spring reverb? (Quad-8 made a pretty
good spring unit in those days, if you didn't hit it too hard. At that time digital
reverb was rare (or didn't exist), sounded terrible, and cost the GDP of a small
country. Never saw many plates in TV studios.)

I love this audio history! Thanks for any enlightenment.

Frank Stearns
Mobile Audio