Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Bell[_2_] Ian Bell[_2_] is offline

Default At power on tube filaments light up more than normal for a sec

Nick Gorham wrote:
Ian Bell wrote:
Ian Iveson wrote:

Ian Bell wrote

Actually, in a conductor electricity does not 'flow at the speed
of light' the net flow of electrons in a conductor is barely a few
meters per second.

Two different things, depending on what you think electricity is.
Flow of electricity happens much faster than your surely quaint
"net flow of electrons".

Of course, hence the ,pedant/pedant tokens.

Sorry. Sometimes I fall prey to the temptation to be clever. Actually
I know sod all about electricity. I lost the plot after the Bohr
atom. These days I think of standing waves, but not very clearly.
Being a materialist, I have some issues with explanations that place
probability in the real world.

Me too. And I believe there are possible new theories that don't
require it I am pleased to say.

Problem is the real world doesn't mind if you have issues, it still
keeps working the way it does. Have you any links to those new theories
it would be stunning if they replace the last 100 years of physics,
especially QED.

No direct link but if memory serves I read it in New Scientist about a
month ago (just in passing in the supermarket whilst the missus was
looking at clothes or something - you know how it is).

Cheers

Ian