Posted to rec.audio.car
Mariachi Mariachi is offline

Default polk 6x9

On Sep 20, 11:41 am, "MOSFET" wrote:
This is an-ongoing debate we've been having here at RAC for years now. It
goes a little like this:

First, keep in mind 6x9's were developed by car-makers in order to maximize
space in the rear-shelf. Do you see any 6x9's on home speakers? No. And
here's the reason (although the big debate is whether the following reason
is audible) why:

As you probably know, speakers work by sending alternating current through a
voice coil. This voice coil sits in a magnetic field (this is the larger
magnet located behind every speaker) and when alternating current is applied
it moves up and down, like an electric motor going forward and reverse over
and over really fast. The voice coil is connected to the cone, and it is
this in and out movement of the cone that vibrates the air and produces
sound (a little accousitc principles 101).

So think about a voice coil, it is round. Now think about a 6x9" cone, it
is not. So when the voice coil moves, it will have moved the shorter
distance of cone (the 6") VERY SLIGHTLY ahead of the 9" distance. Of
course, we're talking VERY minute differences.

In fact, when playing a higher frequency (where the voice coil is moving
VERY fast up and down) it's possible to imagine that the 6" part of the cone
has moved up and is ALREADY beggining to move down WHILE THE 9" DISTANCE IS
STILL MOVING UP. Again, these are extremelly small differences and
obviously the stiffness of the cone come into play. The trouble with cone
stiffnes, though, is that my making a stiffer cone to avoid this problem,
you also tend to make a HEAVIER cone which comes with it's own set of
problems (lack of efficency for one).

But that is basically what the debate is about and the big question is
whether this problem in design produces audible effects (like distortion,
cancellation, ect.). In a car, where you have much larger noise problems
AND a poor accoustical space, my guess is it is probably not audible.

However, in a home speaker, it very likely would make the speaker a little
less steller than a typical 8" or 6" round speaker when you are talking
strictly about sound quality. Again, I go back to my first point that home
speaker makers DO NOT use 6x9 or any other shape except round to match the
voice coil for perfect linierity of movement. The 6x9 or 3x10 or all those
weird shapes were made by CAR MAKERS to maximize space, NOT accoutical
engineers focussed on what sounds best. And clearly, what will sound best
is a cone that moves perfectly linierly up and down.

MOSFET

wrote in message

ups.com...

On Sep 10, 8:11 pm, (bob wald) wrote:
ok , just about every connection.

So i was skimming through the posts and noticed that someone had
mentioned that 6.5's are better sounding quality than 6x9's. I would
like to know why this is. As i was thinking about installing some
6x9's in a friends car with boxes to help out with bass and midrange.- Hide quoted text -

Yes, I agree... the 6x9 speaker is a poor design for a speaker. But
if a 6x9 is bad, how much worse a 3x10? I personally don't get why
anyone would make a 3x10. It's retarded if you ask me