Sockpuppet Yustabe

Default Magazine Statitistics

"ScottW" wrote in message
news:m5rJb.45884$m83.25535@fed1read01...

"Sockpuppet Yustabe" wrote in message

"ScottW" wrote in message
news:wSqJb.45880$m83.5386@fed1read01...

"John Atkinson" wrote in message
om...
The subject of Stereophile's circulation arose on r.a.o. and r.a.t.
today, the
context being how a mainly 2-channel audio magazine can survive in
today's complicated media market. Rusty Boudreaux had said (in

message
) that he had "noticed the drop
on [Stereophile]'s gov't filing page for circulation," while Arny
Krueger had stated (in message )
that he thought "there is plenty of evidence that Stereophile's

magazine
sales are shrinking at a rate that should and probably does greatly
concern [John] Atkinson."

However, it is fair to point out that Mr. Krueger offered _no_ such
"evidence," nor does he have any. Mr. Krueger also wrote that he'd
"heard that Atkinson admits it [ie, that "Stereophile's magazine
sales are shrinking"] privately." However, I don't know Mr. Krueger
personally, I have not had _any_ conversations with him, nor have I
discussed changes in Stereophile's circulation statistics with

anyone
who knows Mr. Krueger. His statement that he has "heard that..."

etc.
is thus at best a figment of Mr. Krueger's imagination and at worst
a deliberate dissemination of a falsehood to damage a magazine

edited
by someone Mr. Krueger regards as a personal enemy.

I did promise Mr. Goudreaux that I would supply Stereophile's

circulation
statistics. Here, then, are the paid circulation figures for

Stereophile
during the past 10 years. These are the figures submitted each year

by
the
magazine's publisher with its second-class mailing statement to the

Post
Office, and are the average of the 12 issues preceding the month of
filing (which is generally November):

1994: 71,040
1995: 79,332
1996: 85,808
1997: 87,219
1998: 83,921
1999: 85,224
2000: 91,384
2001: 84,987
2002: 82,932
2003: 81,668

Please note that there are many factors which contribute to a

magazine's
paid circulation, and that to draw any general conclusion concerning

any
specific factor will almost certainly be incorrect. For example, if

you
wish, as Mr. Boudreaux did, to correlate the magzine's circulation

with
the health of the high-end audio industry, our circulation in 2000,

when
the industry was having a hard time, was higher than in 1996 and

1997
when the audio industry was at its peak. Regardless, I hope that

this
puts the matter of Stereophile's purported circulation problems to

rest.

I'd be more interested in comments to this post on audioasylum.

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/gen...es/298159.html

Is Stereophile now largely fund by advertising rather than subscibers?
I see 12 months subscriptions for less than $1 per issue.

If this guys post is true, Stereophile subsciption revenue has gone

from
almost $2.4M to less than $100K.

ScottW

You are making quite an unreasonable extrapolation
based upon one case, even if it were true. Don't let
your hatreds interfere with your common sense.

No you sound like Sanders. I don't "hate" Stereophile.
I do hate people telling me I hate things I don't hate.
You should understand that unless you really hate
homosexuals.

Now explain what is unreasonable. I've seen a couple
of post indicate Stereophile subscription rates were
$35 a year and now are about $12.
3 years subscriptions are much less and have to be less than
the cost of delivering the magazine.
What is the unreasonable extrapolation?

ScottW

They were never a 'solid' $35 per year. Introductory rates
were always between $12 and $15 per year since I first subscribed in
1988. The first renewal offer you would get would be $35. If you would
hold out, you would eventually get an offer for $15, but would have to miss
an issue. Point is, you need to 'average' the subscription price
to get the right ratio between first timers and reups. And calculate in
those
that might buy a single issue for about $6 at the local stereo salon.

I figured you knew this, and were ignoring it to make a point.
If you didn't know this, you have my apologies.