Geoff Wood

Default DIY LS3/5A's

RdM wrote:
"Geoff Wood" -nospam wrote:

Richard Crowley wrote:
Are the drivers still available for these? I tried poking around
the WWW and it didn't seem too promising.

Yes. You can buy brand new BBC-licenced ones too.

www.ls35a.com may have some linkz.

A personal tale ... words of a work or works in progress, perhaps;-)

I bought a new pair of SP1057 B110 for NZD$269.19 locally in Feb 01

The cabinets crossovers and tweeters (Philips AD 01600 T8) - the
cabinets heavy and built to LS35A type quality with damping pads et
al - came from the local Salvation Army for $5ea IIRC, with blown
B110s. I didn't hesitate. Maybe they were $10 ea, but I felt the
weight and immediately the quality.

They were a local "clone", it appears, badged ARC 1. I'd like more
info...

Aha, the old Avalon Arcs. The cabinet on those was a little taller than the
LS35a, and I know there was at least one pair with my cloned LS35a crossover
boards installed. I assume my buddy still has them....

(Yes, a totally non-scientific mod, by him).

Actually I still need a replacement single T27 for the 104ab's and
while waiting for a replacement dome from Axent Audio have subbed
brutally the T27 A6340's for the original T27 SP1032's ... I'm
uncritically used to them now.

Try Mike Stace at Centrade (in the Wgtn phonebook).

geoff