Lord Hasenpfeffer

Default Advantage of tape over MD?

Geoff Wood wrote:

So equally, is there that little meaningful in your life that you are
wasting your time treating 2100 CDs (or even one, for that matter) in this
manner instead of *turning UP the volume a little* ?!!!

Geoff, please...

In terms of WAV only, I'm willing to accept that "normalizing to
-10dBFS" is for all practical intents and purposes nothing more than the
equivalent of "turning it up a little"...

In terms of MP3, however, I strongly suspect that not "normalizing" the
WAVs from older, quieter pop/rock CDs to -10dBFS will result in lost
frequencies during the encoding process that can otherwise be preserved
if only their amplitudes are increased at the WAV level.

When I play an older, quieter CD with my CD player and my home theater
surround sound setup, yes, merely turning up the volume is perfectly
fine with me. But my concerns, unlike yours apparently, don't *end* there.

Myke

--

Windows...It's rebootylicious!!!