Posted to rec.audio.pro
James Price[_5_] James Price[_5_] is offline

Default Getting more punch from heavily distorted guitars?

On Thursday, February 1, 2018 at 7:39:44 AM UTC-6, Scott Dorsey wrote:
tompauleast wrote:

=20
So, what is the difference between the profiles that the Kemper uses=20
and the impulse response samples used in convolution reverbs?

I don't really know the science behind it. Profiles are made by micing up =
your amp and having the profiler profile it....it plugs into the amp input =
and plays various sounds and measures what the amp/mic are doing to those s=
ounds. Is that the same as convolution? Sounds similar

There are good and bad ways to do it. Doing room impulses is easy because
the room is linear... no matter what the level is, it behaves the same way
(even if, due to your ear being nonlinear, it may not always seem that way
in reality). Guitar amps aren't like that, they have tonal changes with
level. There are ways to model that with Volterra kernels and some people
have done that. Unfortunately you get a lot of latency with such things.
And validating the system is very very hard.

It just seems an awful lot of work to me, when you could just set a Champ
up in a corner and listen to it.

In my opinion, one advantage of the Kemper is continuity. If you want
or need to do a punch in a week after a session for whatever reason,
you can reproduce the exact same tone easily.