Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

Default polk 6x9

Eddie Runner wrote:

I would like you to REALLY compare a full range 6x9 to a full range 8
for instance Memphis makes 6x9s and an 8 inch with a tweeter..
( I have these in stock in my store right now.)

I would be willing to bet you in a blind folded test, most folks would
choose the 6x9.

And here you start falling into the same rut as JD - I'm bringing up
generalities, you're trying to refute them with specific, even esoteric
individual examples. What's the point?

I could mention the old adage that "there's no replacement for
displacement" when it comes to the relative output car engines... this
line of argument would then point out that, say, an old Lotus Turbo
Esprit with its little 2.2-liter 4-cylinder plant, leave a 7-liter V-8
diesel-powered Ford truck in the dust.

Yes, there are always the exceptions to the rule (or generalization)...
that doesn't invalidate the generalization.

I think the problem here comes from design though, the Memphis 6x9 is
made to play the best it can where the Memphis 8 has a heavier
cone.(although possibly close to the same cone area as the 6x9)

And there you go. Compare a different 8" to a different 6x9" and you
get different results again. What's the point?