Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.pro,sci.physics
Keith G Keith G is offline

Default How can I tell music has been an MP3? Quantitative Measurement of Fidelity

"Colin B." wrote in message
In rec.audio.tech Keith G wrote:

I did, but it was a long time ago...

"Colin B." wrote

I'd suggest that this isn't a recent phenomenon. I've got plenty of
pop
vinyl from the 1970s and 1980s that has roughly no dynamics.

Yep, you bought it so *they* kept on supplying it - same thing's
happening today, apparently. Where's the problem?

Yep. Some of it I did, and when I was under 12 years old, I didn't
notice
the difference. That doesn't mean that it's their moral perogative to
contiue producing crap.

The equation is a simple one - if crap is bought, then crap will be
produced...

Much of it I've picked up recently, for $0.50 per album at garage
sales
and used record shops. On a whim, I got Kim Carnes' "Mistaken
Identity"
tossed in when I bought a turntable a while back. Thing is about
0.03db
between the loudest and quietest passages. Horrible to listen to.

The days of good 'threefers' and 'forfers' (charity shop 'bundled vinyl'
offers) are gone. Worthwhile vinyl is a few quid a slice now and no
longer peanuts off Fleabay, what with the postage, these days...

Compressed audio like 'Classic FM' on a car radio works very well,
actually....

True, car audio is a different beast in many ways. Many of my favorite
albums (on CD, that is) don't come with me in the car, because the
volume
I need to listen to 70% of them makes the remaining 30% painfully
loud.

That's a *ding*....

:-)