Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.pro,sci.physics
Colin B. Colin B. is offline

Default How can I tell music has been an MP3? Quantitative Measurement of Fidelity

In rec.audio.tech Keith G wrote:

"Colin B." wrote

I'd suggest that this isn't a recent phenomenon. I've got plenty of
pop
vinyl from the 1970s and 1980s that has roughly no dynamics.

Yep, you bought it so *they* kept on supplying it - same thing's
happening today, apparently. Where's the problem?

Yep. Some of it I did, and when I was under 12 years old, I didn't notice
the difference. That doesn't mean that it's their moral perogative to
contiue producing crap.

Much of it I've picked up recently, for $0.50 per album at garage sales
and used record shops. On a whim, I got Kim Carnes' "Mistaken Identity"
tossed in when I bought a turntable a while back. Thing is about 0.03db
between the loudest and quietest passages. Horrible to listen to.

Compressed audio like 'Classic FM' on a car radio works very well,
actually....

True, car audio is a different beast in many ways. Many of my favorite
albums (on CD, that is) don't come with me in the car, because the volume
I need to listen to 70% of them makes the remaining 30% painfully loud.
But they sound brilliant at home.

Colin