Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.pro,sci.physics
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default How can I tell music has been an MP3? Quantitative Measurement of Fidelity

Colin B. wrote:

I'd suggest that this isn't a recent phenomenon. I've got plenty of pop
vinyl from the 1970s and 1980s that has roughly no dynamics. Making crap
sound louder on the radio at the complete expense of quality is decades old.

That vinyl was pumped to hell and back with massive compression, BUT it
wasn't aggressively limited as well, because aggressive limiting didn't
really improve loudness on vinyl much.

Today with the CD there is a hard limit for level, and so you hear a lot of
heavy peak limiting today. That's more destructive to the overall sound.
The combination of the two is an absolute killer.