Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.pro,sci.physics
tonewheel tonewheel is offline

Default How can I tell music has been an MP3? Quantitative Measurement of Fidelity

On 23 Jun, 04:36, Rich wrote:

There may be another way, there is a public database of CD's, immdb
or something like that. I'm not sure how they identify the CD, perhaps
the volume name, but I suggest that any casually remastered CD, or
any made from mp3's from the net won't have the same volume name, or
whatever they use. That is, I suggest you rip the tracks from the
CD with some software that can identify the disk from immdb, if it
cannot identify the CD, there's a good chance it's as you suspect.
Unless you've for some obscure latin CD or something, the database
is not complete, but for any popular release this should work. I
think Nero will do this, I've not done it for years though.

Note, you don't have to rip the tracks, just see if the CD can
be identified.

About 5 years ago I digitised a lot of my old vinyl LP's and burned
them to audio CD-R's. I recorded the output of a turntable through a
RIAA (sp?) filter into a computer soundcard, saved as a huge WAV,
imported into SoundForge, did a bit of click/pop removal, put in
markers to separate the tracks, normalised, saved, then used CoolEdit
2000 batch mode to split the large wavs into individual wavs for each
track, then burned to disk.

Imagine my surprise when one of the resultant CD's came up with the
correct album title and track listing from gracenote....

TWJ