2mb

Default sub $2000 rackmount mixer for project studio -- mic pre opinions

Peter,
What I do not understand is why you want mixer hardware, allow me to
suggest a more investigative review of your options. If what you need is
cost-efficient mic pre's then perhaps that is what you should look for.

right on... I can think of a lot of decent mic pres for 2k (for what it's
worth, I am still an amateur) which with a digi002 system, would be a far
more useful use of money. You could get a trakmaster, better than some (if
not most?) sub 2k mixer pres, for $349 bucks a strip. You could score a
really capable pre for 2k, probably with digital out for a little more.

But then again, I am a DAW geek so am biased against a bunch of pots and
faders on a horizontal surface, few of which I will ever use, and a few of
which will add noise to the signal chain one day, or possibly get bent or
broken, especially in a project or home studio.

I would rather get a much better input signal than have a console that I can
"afford".

I love to use them, they are really versatile, but hate the inevitable
depreciation and damage. I have gone through 3, before abandoning them
forever for on screen mixers. I use the reclaimed desk space for a second
monitor and midi controller.

I "get my console on" when I find myself helping musician buddies in their
home studio, doing "...that thing you showed me at your house, with the kick
drum, man".

l8,
2mb

"Peter Larsen" wrote in message
Straatocastoer wrote:

So . I know that opinions are like a**holes, but I open the floor to
you guys. I was leaning heavily toward the A&H unit [mixwizard]

that's my gut feeling about this, but I haven't actually heard it.

but have found that their mic pres are generally considered noisy

"Are considered"

and not as transparent as the Mackie's

I don't want to say that they aren't, but I do find the small mackies I
have heard to be grainy. That is my opinion, and I am not talking about
the newest version of that six channel mixer they call a 14 channel one.
(I refuse to count channels that do not have a mic pre!)

-- but I have found the Mackie's are
considered to sound a bit cold and harsh.

"are considered"

Now, I don't consider
myself a 'professional' studio per se, but I do consider myself
somewhat of an audiophile (with a budget) and would like to extend my
services for profit at some time in the future. So with all of these
things in mind, your opinions please .

Listen for yourself. Neither are extremely expensive, so it is probable
that both have shortcomings. Choosing between those is a subjective
choice, we can all post what we think, but it is your experience that
matters, and it is yours only.

What I do not understand is why you want mixer hardware, allow me to
suggest a more investigative review of your options. If what you need is
cost-efficient mic pre's then perhaps that is what you should look for.

Stan

Kind regards

Peter Larsen