Peter Larsen

Default sub $2000 rackmount mixer for project studio -- mic pre opinions

Straatocastoer wrote:

So … I know that opinions are like a**holes, but I open the floor to
you guys. I was leaning heavily toward the A&H unit [mixwizard]

that's my gut feeling about this, but I haven't actually heard it.

but have found that their mic pres are generally considered noisy

"Are considered"

and not as transparent as the Mackie's

I don't want to say that they aren't, but I do find the small mackies I
have heard to be grainy. That is my opinion, and I am not talking about
the newest version of that six channel mixer they call a 14 channel one.
(I refuse to count channels that do not have a mic pre!)

-- but I have found the Mackie's are
considered to sound a bit cold and harsh.

"are considered"

Now, I don't consider
myself a ‘professional' studio per se, but I do consider myself
somewhat of an audiophile (with a budget) and would like to extend my
services for profit at some time in the future. So with all of these
things in mind, your opinions please …

Listen for yourself. Neither are extremely expensive, so it is probable
that both have shortcomings. Choosing between those is a subjective
choice, we can all post what we think, but it is your experience that
matters, and it is yours only.

What I do not understand is why you want mixer hardware, allow me to
suggest a more investigative review of your options. If what you need is
cost-efficient mic pre's then perhaps that is what you should look for.

Stan

Kind regards

Peter Larsen