Smeghead

Default Speaker Cables and Interconnects, your opinion

You need to wind or unwind speaker inductors and voice coils more. There
typically aren't 100's of feet of wire in either one (subwoofer and very

low
midrange crossover coils a possible exception). But there are up to

several
dozen feet of wire in many of them.

These pictures shed very little light on the construction of the

crossovers.
But tell the truth, were there 100's of feet or were there several dozen
feet of wire in those crossovers? Or was this a subwoofer or low midrange
application. You must know the exact number, right?

First i'm no expert on this subject so i apolagise for any stupid questions
etc.

I must admit I have no experience in winding voice coils or inductors. I'm
just a diyist looking to learn more. we all have to start somewhere. The
bass driver has a second order filter with a 2.0 mh inductor, combined with
the drivers voice coil, this must be past the hundred feet mark
http://www.colomar.com/cgi-bin/inductor_proc I'm not sure of the exact gauge
that was used in the inductor but I would think it would be around one
hundred feet + of wire used in this part of the circuit alone.

It's distortions and any phase issues caused by the metal and insulation of
wire that I am most interested in, frequency response can be tailored within
reason in the design and testing stage of the speaker so that's not too much
of an issue as far as I can see. if speaker cable is of adequate gauge and
just a few feet in length then the frequency response of the speaker should
stay more or less the same. For instance this 6mm2 conventional cable
http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_read.asp?ID=1416 apparently ruins the
sound stage, gives a lack of "insight" and lack of detail.
This is the kind of claims that makes me wonder what else must be going on,
if these differences are real. If I used the afore mentioned cable (2ft per
driver at least) between the binding post ,crossover, drive units then this
would according to the review give the same undesirable quality's to the
speaker which cant be easily accounted for in the design. I cant see how a
cable could affect the width of soundstage.

Stew.