Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Dorman Paul Dorman is offline

Default Dachman Audio U87 Clone Kit

On 1/1/2021 8:14 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
Paul Dorman wrote:
Here is the video again. They hand-tighten the mylar into the
rings, and they do NOT measure the tension!

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pro...d-part-2-gsps6

As I explained before, they are not tensioning the mylar when they turn
those screws down. At that point it is already tensioned and they are
just clamping it into place.

I understand that the screws on the ring do not set the tension,
which is already in the mylar when set in the ring. The ring only
holds the mylar in place.

The tension is set by the weight of the trampoline ring. When the ring
with the diaphragm is placed on top of the capsule, the weight of the
ring produces uniform tension across the capsule. Watch the video and
see it work! It works pretty well, actually.

That's not what I'm seeing. It looks to me like he sets the
diaphragm tension by screwing the inner ring tighter.

They don't need to measure the tension because the tension is mostly a
function of the weight of the ring and that is the same every time.

Again, that's not what I'm seeing. It looks to me like he sets the
diaphragm tension by screwing the inner ring tighter. And he doesn't
measure the tension! He probably just tightens it enough to get the
wrinkles out of the mylar!

It's actually a very ingenious process and you have to wonder who came
up with it back in the 1930s. And the Soyuz people are pretty smart
about designing the capsule to work with their manufacturing process.
--scott