Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Audio Editor vs. DAW: Whats the Difference?

In article , Mike Rivers wrote:
On 8/16/2017 8:50 PM, Geoff wrote:
The Sony PCM machines were nothing to do with DAWs at all.

It depends on your definition of "DAW." Taken literally, a couple of
video cassette decks, a PCM converter, and a video editor slightly
customized for audio editing formed a digital audio workstation. But
there aren't many of us here who were around and working in audio at the
time, so it's easy to dismiss anything that came before software on a
general purpose computer as "not a DAW."

I'd call that "not a DAW" because the whole idea of the DAW is that you
can work faster than realtime. Being able to load files into the computer
and edit on the screen totally changed the world in the eighties and nineties,
and totally changed the studio workflow.

I remember editing PCM F-1 tapes, and just doing basic sequencing was a
painful thing that took hours. When Sonic and Waves came along, you just
loaded it unattended (sadly that was still in realtime), made a few cuts
on the screen, and dumped it back (often also in realtime unfortunately).