Mike Rivers

Default 16 bit vs 24 bit, 44.1khz vs 48 khz <-- please explain

In article writes:

So, if you're recording, say, someone's vocals at both 16 and 24 bits, and
the peaks are at -6dB to 0dB FS, does the 24 bit recording represent more
accurately the signal in that region than the 16-bit version?

Probalby not so you'd notice. But the 24-bit version would more
accurately represent what's happening below -60 dBFS, like graininess
in the "room tone" or the fadeout of reverberation. I'd like to add
that it might help bring out some low level overtones in the voice,
but this is usually what people refer to as "clarity" or
"transparency" and it might be there, it might not, depending on what
goes into the mic, and more important, what goes into the A/D
converter.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )