Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

Default Dynamic Mic Noise

After 55 years in the audio business, I have encountered a strange
problem for the very first time. I set up a small mixer and two dynamic
mics for remote recording. Everything tested perfectly at home. When I
moved the setup to the remote location (an office building), there was
hum and buzz in both mics. Isolation the mics from all wall warts and
power supplies did not have an effect on the noise.

New mic cables. No change.
Different (dynamic) mics. No change.
Added dbx286s for each mic. No change.
Disconnected all external equipment from the mixer. No change.
Physically rotating the mics on the desk. Change.

At this point, I think there is a serious electrical problem in the
building. There was not much time to test, but I will be going back in
the next few days to do so. I was not able to turn off the fluorescent
lights to see if a ballast has gone nuclear.

I may take a couple of condenser mics to see if they exhibit the same
problem, but I really want to use dynamics.

Thoughts?