Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tubes
Big Bad Bob Big Bad Bob is offline

Default What is the most powerful audio output tube?

On 12/08/16 08:55, John Larkin so wittily quipped:
On Thu, 08 Dec 2016 09:19:23 -0600, wrote:

What is the most powerful audio output tube, as far as RMS wattage
output?

[snip]

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/.../Tubes/833.jpg

big sucker. 4 terminals, so I'm guessing it's a power triode for RF
output, directly heated cathode. Lots of 'issues' powering it up for an
audio amplifier. You'll need a center-tapped cathode supply, for
starters, and a fixed bias supply for the control grid. Since the
control grid [appears to be] on one of the 'cap' electrodes, it's
probably designed to operate at a positive voltage for class C
operation. So a Class 'A' or push-pull 'AB' might not give you the
results you want. I could see AB2 maybe working, but lots of
experimenting involved in making something like *THAT* "fit".

better to use KT88 or similar [like a Marshall amplifier]

http://www.drtube.com/library/schema...-schemas#Major

http://www.drtube.com/schematics/marshall/200w.gif
(a generic schematic)

4 of them gets you 200W. I guess 8-10 would get you 500W with the right
transformer.