John L Stewart John L Stewart is offline
Senior Member

Location: Toronto
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
What is the most powerful audio output tube, as far as RMS wattage
output?

I have gotten some powerful sound from four 6L6 tubes in push-pull
parallel. but I want more. I know it's possible to use eight 6L6 tubes,
which I believe is called " push-pull parallel - parallel", but I'm
looking into other possible tubes.

At one time, I thought the 807 tube was more powerful than the 6L6, but
after careful research, it's almost identical, but with a different
envelope (plate on the top cap).

I'm looking to get a full 500W RMS (or more) output (per channel), from
all tubes, .... With four 6L6 tubes in PPP, I can only get around 120W
RMS (per channel).

Early in my career as I interned for my P.Eng I built a regulated DC power supply. 4.5 KV at One amp ain't easy. And one needs lots of safety systems, otherwise death is a sure thing.

The passers were 3X 304TH, all grids driven +ve. It ran a Philips cooking magnetron continuously, driving an experiment involving active Nitrogen in an evacuated glass vessel, my supervisors Prof JSM (Andy) Anderson's experiment at the time. Was about 1960.

The safety system did operate on one occasion as it discharged the storage caps after a fault. Lots of noise from that explosion. But it saved my ass!