Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Why No Gain Control on Adcom Amp?

geoff wrote:

Phil Allison wrote:

Quad 405, home-built mega-Quad 405,

** A Kiwi service tech working in Sydney ( Brain someone ) told me how popular it was to build your own Quad 405 if you lived in NZ. Good copies of the original PCBs were available and clones of metalwork & other parts too. This was in the early/mid 80s when buying a genuine example was impossible or crazy expensive.

Started (not by me) at NZ Railways where I was a comms tech . The main
enthusiast even went to the extent of getting heatsinks cast !

** That is very much like what Brian was telling me.

Like to know some details of you "mega-Quad 405".

Twin c-core transformers, larger reservoir caps, MJ15003 outputs,
TIP42(?)C drivers and 55VDC rails. Better electro's and poplyprop caps
throughout where appropriate.

** So about 150W @ 8 ohms per channel ?

The Quad 405 must be the most cloned, modified and re-engineered home hi-fi amp ever. I recapped one for a friend a few years ago, new main and PCB electros, ( all the Roederstein ones had gone high ESR ) plus a few other bits that looked ratty. Fitted gold RCA inputs and binding posts for outputs.

..... Phil