Posted to rec.audio.pro
henrytj henrytj is offline

Default Zoom 4H digital recorder

On Jun 4, 4:52*pm, Mike Rivers wrote:
henrytj wrote:
I am considering getting a Zoom H4 to add to
the kit for recording when I can't be cabled to the camera (like in a
shot with a moving camera.) Yes, I read that the H4, and other under
$1000 recorders have noise problems

You have? Problems? Exactly what have you heard? I've gone over quite
a few of them, and some lack gain on the external mic inputs (which could
result in excessive noise). Is that what you're talking about? If so, the H4
is pretty good with external mics, and it supplies 48V phantom power. The
H2 works quite well with its internal mics and line level sources, but not
well when using external mics connected to its mic input. Better to use
a preamp into the line input.

I have read on other forums where audio-philes state that they hear
pre-amp noise from almost all lesser-expense equipment. But I am
hoping that whatever I get (maybe the Zoom H4) is still good enough
for no and low-budget movie production. ANd for walking around and
recording sound effects and background sounds to build up my own
library.