Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Howard Stone Howard Stone is offline

Default Radford STA25 Mk 3 modifiactions

Well it arrived and was hooked up to the Rogers JR149s!

And wonderful, I listened to it twice and both times after it had warmed up for 15 minutes the sound was just glorious! And it helped greatly make the bass on these little speakers.

And then . . .

.. . . and then A CAP EXPLODED. Very dramatically with lots of smoke.

Thank goodness for ebay buyer protection. In this case the seller wants to take it back and fix the problem and I'm going to give him the chance.

Of course it's a very old amp, and of course I expect to spend a lot of money to get it rebuilt. But I'd like it to work for more than four hours first given that it was sold as being "in good working order!"