Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Trevor Wilson[_3_] Trevor Wilson[_3_] is offline

Default Theta DS Pro Prime II DAC

On 3/04/2019 11:56 pm, Peter Wieck wrote:
Please do not get me started on DACs. Just the highlights:

a) There are a limited variety of chip-sets out there. Whether for the knock-off portable $19 CD player or the $15,000+ Moon DAC.
b) It is what happens outside of the chips that one hears.
c) Which is subject to the law of diminishing returns.
d) And, whereas the threshold is probably above $19 (about the cost of a very good chip-set), it is considerably below the $15,000 Moon.

**Yeah, well, I've worked on a couple of Moon amplifiers. You can stick
'em where the Sun don't shine. Average topology, lost of air inside the
box and careless construction. Sound quality - ho hum. A classic case of
style over substance, IMO. I hope their DACs demonstrate more appealing
attributes.

One more thing: I am of the opinion that DACs DO make a difference.
After listening to delt/sigma DACs for a long time, a client brought in
an ancient Marantz CD-80 for service. Nothing special. No fancy OP amps.
I serviced it and placed it in my system. Whoo-hoo. The thing blew me
away. Something about those old multi-bit DACs. Dynamics seem to be far
more interesting and 'alive'.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au