Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default (Shielded) Mic/Line Cable With Lowest Shunt Capacitance?

John Williamson wrote:

---------------------------

How low does it go?

** You can eliminate its effect entirely by loading the far end with the characteristic impedance of the cable.

Try a 0.22uF cap in series with 100 ohms for starters.

Which is not the best idea if it's being fed by a guitar pickup, which
expects a load of many kilohms or a high impedance mic such as those
used on some acoustic guitars.

** Twin core mic cable is unsuitable for that use anyhow - microphony being one issue. But you cannot tell an audiophool anything.

BTW, if the source is a ceramic contac tpickup, cable C does not cause high frequency loss, just some loss of level and improved lows.

If the OP told us what the application was, then we'd have a better idea
what to recommend.

** Of course, but I answered the Q as written.

C disappears once you "match" the line.

..... Phil