Bill Vermillion

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Codifus wrote:

I'm curious. The soundtrack from Antwone Fisher, featuring music by
Mychael Danna, has several wonderful songs with piano leads. I love the
imaging in these recordings. I feel as if my ears are inside the piano.
How were those done?

That is the sad and unfortunate result of putting mikes close
into the piano and panning them wide. I cannot stand the
fifty-foot-piano effect. It sounds like your ears are inside the
piano, and that's not how you listen to pianos in real life at
all.

I liked to use crossed cardiods positioned pointing to the far end
of the piano with placement just over the keyboards. Then another
mike pointing to the keyboard/vocalist. The pair isolated the
vocal from the piano tracks and gave a nice real stereo sound,
and the vocal mike kept the piano out of the vox mike.

When I could do it I'd use a C-24 a few feet away from the piano.

Close miking a piano takes away so much and you can often tell
where the mikes are placed by the hot notes in the mix.

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com