Arny Krueger

Default Mikey falls down and can't get up

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

"Pooh Bear"
wrote in message ...

wrote:

As a sign of integrity from a magazine supposedly
helpful to audiophiles. Believe it or not there are
people who might actually think a Shakti stone might
acutally do something for their stereo, just like there
are people who think that damping factor is an
important specification for amplifiers.

Damping factor *is* important albeit the the typical
numbers quoted for SS amps are so high as to be beyond
worrying about from the perspective of choosing one over
another based on that parameter.

For small signal conditions, yes.

For large signal conditions, yes as well.

But have you experienced the condition where one
amplifier which is rated nearly flat to 20 Hz provides
noticeably inferior bass to another with similar specs?

Obviously you haven't reliably experienced *anything*
relevant to your claims, Robert. A lot of your strange
perceptions seem to be related to the observable fact that
you hate doing listening tests where relevant variables are
maintained as stable as is reasonbly possible. For evidence
of your hatred for controlling relevant variables during amp
tests, anybody can see all your ranting and raving here
ABX.

ABX is just about basic experimental controls.

In addition Robert, I seriously doubt you are controlling
other relevant parameters, momentarily putting bias controls
aside. Things like level matching and checking frequency
response with real-world loads. If you were actually
monitoring these parameters, your posts would loose their
profound aroma of ignorance of real-world facts.

The reason is that damping factor is not reported for
large signals.

Don't know about that, but every time I've measured amp
source impedance at its output terminals with large signals,
nothing changes appreciably from the small signal numbers.

But Robert you're playing expert here. Why haven't you
delved into any of this stuff yourself? You say you're so
much smarter and wiser than I am - why do I have so much
practical experience with this relatively speaking, and you
demonstrate none?

Robert, is it that you are locked up some place where you
can't get your hands on sharp objects like meter probes?
Meter probes and all the stuff that goes with them are
readily availble for reasonable prices. Why aren't you more
familiar with their use in an audio context?

IMHO, this is one of the major
shortcomings in the quantitative analysis of amplifier
performance.

Only in your mind, Robert. For an amp's source impedance to
its load to change appreciably, it would have to be
appreciably nonlinear. Until you clip 'em, SS amps are
nothing if not linear at low frequencies where you started
ranting about in this post.