Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] dpierce.cartchunk.org@gmail.com is offline

Default Ways to make speakers go anywhere.

On Thursday, May 9, 2019 at 6:21:40 PM UTC-4, Howard Stone wrote:
The speakers I have are really annoying because, to get them
sounding as good as they should, they need to be positioned in
places I don't want them to be. 1m from walls etc.

I want my speakers low down and unobtrusive, or high up on
bookshelves. I want them hiding away in corners and right up
against walls. And I want speakers which are flexible, which
can be moved anywhere.

Are there any solutions to this problem? Solutions I can
implement myself without taking a degree in acoustics?

You only infer, somewhat, below, what you find "really annoying"
about the results. In fact, you use the phrase:

"The speakers I have are really annoying"

What do you find annoying about THEM? Ignoring the inconvenience
of placement, for them moment, do they sound similarly annoying
placed where they're "supposed" to be placed?

Here's an idea. Can I use DSPs to compensate for all the bass
boom I get out of classic speakers if I put them where I want them
to be rather than where they want to be? And can I do it simply
and affordably?

Well, maybe. If the problem is simply dues to the low-frequency
interaction with the proximal wall surfaces, maybe. But, if it's
the kind of problem you might get, say, when trying to put the
speakers in a resonant situation like in bookshelf cavities, no,
you'll always have that problem and DSP will turn a relatively
simple acoustical problem into a complex electronic/acoustical
problem.

But, having worked a lot on speakers, I do not have a clear picture
on what the "really annoying problem" you're hearing is.

This is the biggest weakness of classic speakers IMO, and why
Quad, Rogers, Spendor etc really don't give people what they
want.

Well, Quad, Rogers, Spendor, and KEF and B&W actually have given a
fairly large number of people what they want: that's why some of
them are selling their wares in conmparatively high numbers.

Further, the room problems due to placement of things like Quads (the
electrostats) is VERY different than the problems presented by
the other examples you give.

I'm hoping that 21st century technology will come to the rescue.

Well, as I told several clients, there may not be a technological
solution to your kind of problem. But, you have to define your problem
a bit better, though.