Posted to rec.audio.pro
muzician21 muzician21 is offline

Default Davy Jones of The Monkees

On Mar 1, 11:19*am, mcp6453 wrote:

After he performed, it became clear to me why he didn't want it taped. He didn't
sing his songs like the record. Even the two ladies sitting on the back row in
front of the soundboard were ****ed and complaining when they got up to leave
after his part of the show was over.

One of my favorite pop singers. In the 60's, his voice had an
interesting, dusky character. By the 80's he still sounded great -
going by video evidence of the era, his voice actually sounded
"clearer" to me. I remember he did a cameo on some made for tv movie
from the 80's centered around a fictional girl group that had had some
big hits and was reuniting. He was one of the acts at an "oldies"
concert, I recall him sounding fantastic.

At some point though, for some reason he started throwing these cheesy
embellishments into his old hits. He turned those once fantastic
interpretations into something you'd expect from some stereotypical
lounge-singer.

For probably 20 years or so his vocal chops have been in obvious
decline. Last I heard he was still performing but his voice has none
of what once made him special as a vocalist. If I didn't know it was
him I don't think I'd even identify him as Gary Puckett.

I'm no longer a Gary fan.

I don't think I'd pay to hear him today but I still enjoy his old
recordings as much as ever.

Here's an interesting moment from the 80's - Gary appearing with Jim
Glaser. Glaser was one of the co-writers of The Union Gap's hit
"Woman". They even do an impromptu performance of part of "Woman".
Glaser is himself a superb vocalist.

http://youtu.be/ThF0NS3ejok