George Gleason

Default Mixing console

Arny
this is not a test, this is a real wiorld problem
and it does not take 32 signals to cause it
there are console in the price range of the mackie that actually work well
it would be a simple thing for makcie to rescreen thier desks so that the
indicated zero levels would not cause this problem
it does not take a re-engineering of the signal path just a little
adjustment in the printing of the marking on the desk
I have no Idea what a written standard is but the real world standard is
zero on the fader and zero at the pfl
is considered a nominal signal that a desk should be able to pass at every
channel with out clipping at any point in the desk regardless of how many
are being used
and of course everyone is correct that you will not start a show passing
this level through a mix buss in fact it only happens during the very
intense parts of a program
and to assume that a desk can pass nominal level at all channels active is
not a excessive expectation
in fact it is a basic requirment to know that you have the headroom to get
you through unanticipated events in a program, remember we are talking LIVE
sound here , not studio where there is no luxury of knowing what will be
sent your way
also if you are reading carefuuly I do not single mackie out for this fault
I find it unacceptable in the A& H and Yamaha products as well
this does not happen on the midas or soundcraft
so perhaps I hacve been spoiled by being able to have many desks and
actually evaluating them in real world situations and choosing to like the
ones that work best as the "standard" by which I judge all products
presented for a given application
as far a a live mixing desk in th under 5,000$ range
Midas and Soundcraft IMO just work better beacuse the companies took a few
moments to be sure that thier desks could do what thier layout suggests
IMO the fact you can not send a complex hot mix through the mix buss is the
equlivalent of buying a one ton truck but after you get it finding out it
can only carry one ton , 500 lbs at a time
it the buss can not pass 16 channels at zero do not put 16 channels on the
desk make it a 12 channel desk
or remake the zero point so that there is one logic to the gain stageing
that always applies
not one logic you can use if your using 6 channels and another that is
required if using all 16
why bother marking the desk at all if the markings can not be used as a
guide?
George