Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default PreSonus 1810 audio interface.

In article , Tobiah wrote:
I get surprisingly clean results on things like classical guitar.
I turn the gain knobs up about 3/4. When recording quieter things
as I've described, I need to turn the gain up all the way (they
say it's 60dB) and I then hear loads of whiteish noise. What's that
trick I can use to make sure it's not coming from the mics or room?
A resistor placed correctly?

A 200 ohm resistor between pins 2 and 3 will simulate a microphone with
no signal.

But really, the NT1 isn't a very quiet microphone. It's reasonable for the
price but don't expect the kind of noise floor that you get from an MKH-20.
I wouldn't use it on clavichord.

The unit sometimes generates odd blips and squeals which had me
looking at replacing it. It's also really old and was not supported
past Windows 7. I'm running 10 right now. The Presonus 1810 looks
like it does everything I'm used to. I know this means nothing
scientifically, but since they rate their preamps as providing
80dB of gain, I thought, hey, maybe they'll at least be quieter
than the ones I have at 60dB.

Ask a legitimate sales outfit to let you try one for a week on eval. They
will hold your credit card... if you return it, they return the money.