Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tubes
Bret Ludwig

Default Get some backround

Andre Jute wrote:
snip
I thought not. I certainly don't even remember Ludwig being there,
never mind standing shoulder to shoulder with John Byrns and me, who
did between us did 99.9 per cent of the work.

This isn't even subtle, Ludwig: you all saw the light reveal the
Magnequest shortcomings because I shone the light on LaFevre and and
his products and his gang.

You're not doing yourself any favours, Ludwig.

IIRC this whole thing with Magnequeef was a year and a half or two
years after MQ started out. I first became aware of MQ from one of the
several early basement triode zines, called him up, and asked him if he
could do something really simple. As I recall the conversation he knew
less than I did about some aspects of transformer design and that was
not a lot, and it was apparent he was a yuppie that smelled financial
peg boy butt, and maybe the other kind too. I read his articles which
were half true and half self-servng bull****, and finally dismissed him
as a ****-up and a ripoff artist and an arrogant one to boot. The name
Andre Jute was then known to me only in conjunction with his
car-building book which I then had a favorable opinion of, naive me,
even though I vaguely detected the odor of scholarship where experience
with a welding torch was needed.

Later conversations with people who had dealt with MQ convinced me
first impressions were so right. Turns out the silly ******* bought a
lot of prints from a dumpster diving former employee and got the unused
trademarks transferred to himself, and in reality had no legitimate
experience
whatever. What products he builds are no better than what any hobbyist
could do after reading the RDH 4 and Eric Lowdon's book-and maybe
spending a little time as a minimum wage employee in an actual
transformer plant, letting someone else teach you to run a Universal
winder. The difficult ones he has never actually made although he has
said he did. It's called lying.