Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax Dirk Bruere at NeoPax is offline

Default M-Audio and Virtual Audio Cable

On 04/03/2010 02:07, geoff wrote:
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
Thinking of using an M-Audio card with Virtual Audio Cable to convert
surround sound to PCM spdif.

The idea is to use something like the Audiophile 2496 to get an
analog 4 channel output. Feed this into the 4 inputs, sample at 24/96
and use Virtual Cable to route one pair of signals to the M-Audio
spdif o/p, and the other to the mobo soundchip (Realtek) spdif o/p.

Any opinions?
Anyone try anything like this?
I also need an end-to-end of better than 105dB s/n

Would help to explain what you are trying to acheive and why. Are you
trying to monitor on SPDIF powered spekers, or make an SPDIF security copy
recording while recording into a DAW, or something ?

geoff

I want to encode both front and rear speakers digitally with PCM.
In other words, to decode ac3/dts and pump it out as PCM streams to
active speakers that accept PCM input.

--
Dirk