Chad Wahls

bob wald wrote:
ok fixxed a amp once then 2weeks laters something else then something
else.i talk from experience.please you are embarrassing your
selfs.....all electicial connetions when they make contact and sparks
leave a lil build up.
i had a switch n my ac last year.a switch that automatic wouldnt
disengage because the place it switches too had so much build up it
always made contact.and the ac ran all the time.
even when i turned it off.
it was like lead build up like 3/16s high.
coulda been 1/8.....but this thing was like 9 yrs old.....maybe 12.
but you use amps ALOT more that ac.

Most amps don't have relays, thier protection scheme simply shuts down
the oscilator that drives the power supply. THERE IS NOTHING IN THERE
TO ARC. If there are solid component connections THERE IS NO ARCING.

I have seen instances in professional applications where speaker relays
will stick on, this is due to an amplifier delivering upwards of 100V
into a 4 ohm load and the relay energizing when there is full signal
present or in worst case an amp throwing rail DC, in this case the
relay is the least of your worries.

This occurs mostly in older amps such as crest and BGW. In fact if you
short a side of finals in a crest 8001 you automatically replace the
relay. Again part of "correct" repair procedures. Many modern pro amps
also have switching power supplies, they have no speaker relays, it
just drops the power supply.

Chad