Posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil W Phil W is offline

Default Mac Pro 2019

Scott Dorsey:
wrote:
I've been using Mac Pro desktops with PCI slots for many years. It's a
grea=
t machine, very well built and quiet. But this new model seems so over the
=
top in terms of base price and expensive add-ons it seems Apple has truly
r=
eached the highest level of greed.

https://www.apple.com/mac-pro/

With only SSD storage options adding immensely to the cost I wonder who
thi=
s is geared towards. It's out of my price range these days but I do like
in=
ternal PCI slots since I favor AES audio via the Lynx AES PCI card coupled
=
with Lavry Blue converters.

We're at the point where SSDs are so much faster than rotating disk and
yet
not that much more expensive than rotating disk. You can now buy a 500T
SSD from a major manufacturer (not server grade but entirely acceptable
for
routine use) for $100.

There is no longer any reason not to have your boot disk and work disk be
an SSD.

The "problem" is, that Apple wants to apply crazy high prices for an SSD
(just like all other upgradable hardware parts) compared to other
manufacturers. If Apple could just get off their arrogant path of "our stuff
ist bettererererer, because itīs so much more expensive!111111" and make
more reasonable prices for hardware, it could be a little more fair for
everyone involved.

Phil