Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Default Use condenser sax mic with xvive wireless guitar system ?

On 26/09/2018 10:30 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 9/25/2018 9:45 PM, wrote:
Is it possible to use the new mini guitar wireless systems (Xvive for
ex) with a mini condenser mic like the AKG C-519 horn/drum/piano mic
using adapters ?

I tried it but without impedance matching adapters and there was a
wine if the mic is too close to the battery pack. I also tried using
the Xvive with a regular SM58 and non impedense matching adapters and
it seemed to work fine

Is this what you have?

http://www.xviveaudio.com/productInfo.asp?id=298

That has three good reasons why a respectable condenser mic won't work
with it:

1. There's no phantom power
2. Its gain is set up to work with the output level of a guitar pickup,
which is roughly 20 dB hotter than a mic level output.
3. The unbalanced high impedance input turns the mic cable into an
antenna good for picking up stray RF and electromagnetic fields in the
area.

You need the kind of wireless transmitter that's designed to be used
with a condenser microphone. If you end up with one that doesn't supply
standard phantom power, you could get an outboard power supply for your
mic (battery powered, I assume, for stage-hopping), but better to get
the right transmitter for the job.

Or more correctly 'DC bias voltage' , or whatever other term, 'cos no
wireless body-pack TX that I know of does actual phantom power - just a
straight +5(ish)VDC pin on the socket.

But the good news is that you don't need to use the in-line phantom
power adaptor, as the C519 can be powered directly from the PT4xxx TX
via a TA4M-TA4F cable. If another brand TX, then a cable customised to
that TX will be necessary, but should work the same.

geoff