Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

Default Where Can We Register Our Complaints About Loudening Existing CDs?

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
On 2/16/2012 7:24 PM, Trevor wrote:
Good luck trying to get a refund at any record store in Australia. Can
you
really do that in the USA? Have you actually done it?

That's tough, just like returning software. But you can simply stop buying
CDs. You probably don't need a trial listen to tell what you aren't going
to like. When was the last time you bought a commercial CD of a big name
artist that sounded good to your ears?
Just say no.

Right, that's what I do rather than needlessly wasting my time arguing with
a shop assistant when I know I can't win. CD's, DVD's, software etc. seems
to be exempt from most consumer laws because of the possibilty of people
copying them and taking them back. If the disk is faulty you get a
replacement with exactly the same disk program, but if you don't like what
is recorded, too bad. The sad part is once upon a time every record store
had facilities to play disks before you bought them, and sadly in the days
of vinyl they were often played on crap and put back on the shelf :-( These
days when it should be easier, and wear doesn't happen, the practice is
almost extinct. Of course the playback equipment used wouldn't help much for
judging real sound quality anyway. However there are often free tracks or
partial tracks to download on the net now, (and I won't mention illegal
downloads, oops just did :-) and even 320kbs MP3 is good enough to judge how
badly a record is mastered.

Trevor.