electricked

Default Capacitor, how to find out what size?

"MZ" wrote in message
news
...which may or may not be more effective in the light dimming

department
than the cap.

Agreed. I thought I would need a cap for my system but ended up being
able to get a new alt and double the amperage for less than the
'reccomended' size cap i would 'have' to buy.

That's not really the point I was making. I was suggesting that in some
cases a cap is actually more effective. High output alternators often
suffer from the same limitations that a stock alternator suffers from when
idling.

MZ, at the same RPM a higher power alternator will produce more current than
a lower power alternator.

If you have enough power coming from the alternator there will be less
problems with lights dimming since the alternator will be producing enough
current to power both your system and lights at same time.

Most of the time you need more power only for the bass. The tweeters and
midranges dont need as much power. If you have xover's then the subs and
tweeters for example won't be running at the same time, so it's safe to
assume that you can get alternator to cover your subs and other accessories.
If you don't have xover's then you have to get alternator that will cover
all speakers running at the same time (e.g. tweeters+midranges).

Of course, if all you have is a 100 dollar bill, spend it on cap. It won't
give you more power, it will cover the surge power needed for bass.

And MZ, please tell both sides of story when making a point. It's easier to
understand why they should or shouldn't choose one over other (new alt/cap,
etc.)

--Viktor