Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Default Star Quad Cable Wiring (Canare)

On 10/02/2018 5:46 PM, Linda Masterson wrote:
On 2/9/2018 8:24 PM, Trevor wrote:

Which hers doesn't have since it only has a headphone jack. I'd be
surprised if anything without a proper output socket is any more than
a toy though. (in fact I even have a TOY keyboard with proper MIDI
sockets and R+L/M sockets, so it's probably a cheap toy at that!) So
I'm wondering why the hell she is going to all the trouble in the
first place? A REAL keyboard would be my suggestion.

Trevor.

I am currently testing for the best wiring configuration. This $300.00
Yamaha keyboard's sampled sounds are much better than many of my other
keyboards costing $2500.00 and $3000.00 from yesteryear. Talk to Jack
Black and *many* others. Call it a toy, I have no earthly care. :-)

Many keyboards from yesteryear costing as many thousands as you'd care
to throw at them in fact did have sound/audio quality that is limited
compared to some cheap ones of more recent days.

That doesn't in itself make cheap current ones fantastic, but yours may
indeed have some aspects that are better. But do compare apples with
apples, and see what sound quality you get from the *equivalent*
market-level of current keyboard.

Hell, I have a DX7 and a TX816(actually TX818 when you take into account
the 2 extra modules fitted) that were totally SOTA when they came out,
probably costing well over $5K at even those days money value. They do
sound pretty crappy today, drowning in quantisation noise and limited
frequency response.

But my more current-technology Nord and Rolands sound absolutely stunning.

geoff