Posted to rec.audio.pro
John Doe[_2_] John Doe[_2_] is offline

Default Digital noise from speakers in flight simulator (X-Plane)

"Nicola B. Bernardelli" wrote:

John Doe wrote:

That would require a third purchase, less useful than the first two.
I will post when it is solved. If it affected something other than
the flight simulator, I might be more gung ho for solving it. Every
other sound from my PC is noise free. Most impressive is the USB
microphone connected to a 36 foot Tripp-Lite active USB extender.
Used partly for security, partly for entertaining my indoor-only
cats. The Marantz USB microphone is output through my SoundBlaster
Audigy Rx to the JBL LSR305s. Sounds like being outside. Love it.

I see. You might enjoy SP/DIF a lot however, if the converter has good
characteristics on the analogue side.

I have a Focusrite audio interface, SP/DIF from the PC sounds just as
good as ASIO via USB.

(I also tried the FlightGear flight simulator through the Focusrite LOL,
sounds great... BTW I only used aircraft with a good JSBSim-based Flight
Dynamics Model, not YaSim which is merely trying to extrapolate the
plane behavior from its geometry, and BTW I was more interested in the
plane behavior than in a nicely modeled cockpits... I had tried out
X-Plane years ago but the flight simulation I experienced was not as
good as the one I found at least in a few FlightGear aircraft I came to
prefer over others I had tried.)

I'll check out your post when you solve the problem.

Between then and now, I replaced the motherboard (once or twice). Apparently
the current (MSI) motherboard noise penetrates all the audio hardware,
onboard and soundcard. Couldn't stand it during quiet moments, it was
irritating.

Tried the SP/DIF and the noise is gone! The speakers were just reproducing
motherboard noise. I think one of the prior motherboards was Gigabyte, so
it's not just MSI.

Had to hot melt glue thee SP/DIF optical wire connections, to eliminate
popping at the 96 kHz setting. Hot melt glue is very easily and neatly
removed with 70% isopropyl alcohol (when things are unplugged).

Sounds great now!
A speaker upgrade is in order, when I get rich.

--

BTW this was another interesting reading:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-aud...70437-cutting-

xlr-ground-pin.html

and links this page

http://www.guitarcenter.com/VTG/Grou...6620.gc?CJAID=

10432687&CJPID=6155355&CJSID=jfr2bgtyf100s3dy00279

and this one

http://www.google.com/shopping/produ...11658610?hl=en