Noah Roberts

Waldo wrote:
On Mon, 30 May 2005 21:53:28 -0700, Noah Roberts wrote:

As you can see, these anti-linux whack jobs that pop out of the woodwork
every time the name Linux is mentioned do not actually know anything
about what they are talking of. Any program that is meant to tackle
something as complex as what Ardour does takes a LOT longer than 10
minutes to learn.

But it only takes 10 minutes to import a wave, apply effects and see the
program go belly up.
It only takes 5 minutes to experience a user interface that is terrible.
It takes maybe another 10 minutes to sample some of the Linux plugins and
listen to how terrible they sound.
It takes about 30 seconds to see there is no context sensetive help system.

Whatever. Me thinks you *might* have tried an old version...if you
even tried it at all.

Statements like this guy is making are just silly.
Not only that but they have chosen to attack a single application when
in fact Linux audio work involves a whole slew of interoperating
programs. These people know just enough to sound like they know
something to the uninitiated. Reader beware...

Wrong.
Statements from an amateur trying to compare a toy, Ardour, to
professional applications like Protools, Samplitude and so forth are the
silly ones.

Again, whatever. Ardour isn't a 'toy'.

I never compared the two either. I have said several times I have
never used the other programs and REFUSE to compare them. I guess on
top of talking about **** you know nothing about you also can't read.
Why am I not surprised?

I didn't attack Linux,

Oh really now...

Do you use Protools, Samplitude,Cubase or similar on a daily basis in a
professional or semi-professional setting?

Nope. I have NEVER used any of those systems. I use Linux DAW only.
I have no need for any of the above programs. If I am happy with Linux
why would I need those? The logic of your point here fails me utterly.

If not, you have absolutely nothing of value to add to this thread other
than your obvious Linux zealotism and evangelism which might get you a pat
on the back in the Linux groups.

I have plenty to add. I know a LOT more about Linux than you do. I
also know a LOT more about doing audio work with Linux than you do.
Stick to your own realm of expertice...you are way over your head here.

Linux DAW is MORE than adiquate for the home studio. Linux is even used
in pro applications. You can either try it or not. If you try it you
will either like it or not. I of course recommend you try...it costs
nothing to do so. The investment in time is no longer than learning how
to use any other system.

I didn't say it isn't worth trying, I said it doesn't compare to
professional applications.
It just doesn't.

Says you. Why should what you say matter? You don't even know what
you are talking about. Stick to what you know.

And as for a home user being able to figure out how to get Linux and then
all it's baggage running just to use an application like Ardour, he will
have his shiny new sound card installed and the CD that came with it
running Cubase Lite or similar long before he even figures out how to
install Linux and get his sound card to work.

If you say so. Hopefully everyone can see by now that you don't know
what you are saying anyway.