Scott Dorsey

Lorin David Schultz wrote:

Admittedly I've never tried anything Unix based, except our Mac G4. It
blows its brains out twice a week for no apparent reason whatsoever, and
I'll be damned if I can figure out how to do even a simple disk defrag
on that mother****er. It really is "foolproof" -- this fool can't
figure the thing out at ALL. Yet my XP machine just... works.

One of the nice things about the Berkeley filesystem is that file
fragmentation isn't really an issue. As long as you keep below 80% of
the total disk usage, you should never need to defragment.

So how come everyone says Windows is hard to live with? It hasn't been
for me, and I'm not even smart or careful. What am I missing?

Things like disk defragmentation are an excellent example of the annoyances
that Windows users have to put up with, that people in the rest of the
world don't really have to worry about.
--scottt