Richard Crowley

"Tim Smith" wrote ...
"Lorin David Schultz" wrote:
"Tim Smith" wrote:
If the system is not being used as a dedicated audio workstation,
but
is also being used for general purpose stuff, Windows usually
requires more maintenance than Linux or OS X.

Like what? I'm not arguing, I just don't get it.

There are several areas:

1. For the typical user, dealing with viruses and/or spyware.

Subscribe to McAfee. It is completely automatic. Always
up to date without even looking at it. I believe there are free
versions out there also. The more Apple people tout their
virus-free environment, the farther they have to fall when
one hits them. I'd be concerned, but they believe they are
exempt.

2. For those who are into games, dealing with drivers and
DirectX. Whenever you get a new game, that requires a later
version of DirectX than you have, it often requires a lot of
fiddling to keep your old stuff working. Same when ATI or
NVidia releases new drivers.

Google for "apple video driver update" returned only 902,000
hits. Whatever could they be?

4. Keeping software up to date. With most Linux distributions
and with OS X, you don't need any third-party software for safe,
effective basic computer use. With Windows, you need to get a
third-party browser and email client, or at least get third-party
add-ons to the bundled browser and email client.

Why? Most of us find Outlook and Outlook Express to be great.
I have tried the top dozen or so 3rd party newsreaders and was
significantly disappointed in all of them.

To address the larger question. My audio workstation has not
had a single update since it was built 5 years ago (Windows 98),
and my video workstations have not been touched since the day
they were built, either.