Per Stromgren

Default Electrostatic vs electromagnetic headphones

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 21:52:08 -0000, (Dave Platt)
wrote:

There are very few brands of true electrostatic headphones on the
market. The best-known brand (and in fact the only brand I'm aware
of) is Stax.

Stax may perhaps be the best known but there are others. Koss has made
some models over the years, of which the latest was sold at a very
reduced price if I'm not mistaken. Sennheiser has a model as well, but
the price is silly; you can get a decent used car for the same money.

The Staxes are good, I own a pair myself, but there are a lot of
people out there who say the better dynamic models are as good, if not
better. Upper range Sennheiser (580/600), Grado, Beyer and AKG should
be investigated if you are shopping for good earphones.

And as always: listen, listen and listen. Plus, when it comes to
earphones, try them on for an hour, if you have the possibility,
before you buy.

Per.