Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Default Amar Bose dead at 83

"Trevor Wilson"
Phil Allison wrote:

** I met a young guy once who had a pair of Klipsch La Scalas
( rated at 104dB/W/m ) in his bedroom at his parent's home.

http://www.soundscapehifi.com/images...la-1-3_LRG.jpg

Sitting on the floor next to them was a Bose 1801 amp.

**Puke. Horrible speakers, driven by a horrible amplifier. back when I was
service manager for Auriema (later, Marantz Australia), I set up a pair of
La Scalas in the warehouse truck bay and pointed them at the (quite noisy)
factory across the road. I connected them a Marantz 140 power amp (75
Watts/channel) and played music. The people in the factory complained
about the noise!

** BTW:

Did you ever come across the Philips omnidirectional speaker design that was
a bit like Bose ?

Not a commercial product, but a published design for home construction. It
used a number of 5 inch woofers and 1inch dome tweeters - likely AD5060s
and AD0160Ts. No stupid equaliser needed, just a touch of bass boost.

Kit Sets had a pair on demo in their Sydney city store in the early 70s.

.... Phil