Nousaine

Default Subwoofer direction

Sam Carleton wrote:

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 at 02:41 GMT, Nousaine wrote:
"daxe"
wrote:

Well I'm glad that some tuning of your system made it work the way
you wanted. But the reasons that Eddie gives are just plain
wrong, they don't fit with what we know about acoustics,
loudspeakers and car audio systems.

I am new to car audio so I am wondering what YOU think the
scientific reason why so many folks find their subs sounding better
when they turn them around. So far, what Eddie put forth sounds
good to me, but then I don't know much about audio.

All I am looking for your hypothesis and real world scientific tests
to prove it.

Sam

As I mentioned in another post. The effects at low frequencies in the car by
"aiming" your woofer are due to higher frequency effects/artifacts being
reduced in amplitude. Often a good low pass filter or other tuning will also
ameliorate these problems as well.

It is also true that most people are often pretty far off when they 'estimate'
frequency. When I play a 100 Hz sine wave and ask people what the frequency is
they usually reply 50 or 60 Hz.