Nousaine

Default Subwoofer direction

"daxe" wrote:

"Nousaine" wrote in message

First of all...anyone with any sense of technical excellence as it relates
to the real world wouldn't use AOL as an ISP.

Why would you make such a silly comment? My e-mail address is now nearly 15
years old and it makes it easy for readers and colleagues to find me.

So what is true Eddie? Your little cartoons drawings or real time-based
acoustical measurements made with real woofers in real cars.

in my experience, ERs info is infinitely more useful, since you offered NO
solution at all and claim that what has indeed worked for me is not "true",
whatever that means.

Eddie offered a cute explanation that would have been useful IF it fit the
acoustics in a car.

I've been to your site Eddie and your anaysis is so amateur its hard not

laugh.

Maybe or maybe not, but his analysis solved my problem and yours didn't.

But you haven't actually told how it solved your 'problem'. There are some good
reasons to face a woofer away from the drivers seat BUT none of them have to do
with frequencies below roughly 50-60 Hz.

What fargin good is your analysis, then?

~daxe

I find it interesting how quickly people want to start yelling and fussing
about an issue instead of just learning something from it.

Again, in a vehicle the interior volume and dimensions are such that the
pressure-region where the speaker displacement pressurizes the cabin instead of
setting up standing waves begins somewhere around 50-60 Hz depending on the
vehicle size. The wavelength of a 60 Hz tone is about 19 feet long, a fact that
Eddie conveniently ignores. Wavelengths increase in length as frequency goes
lower. For example a 20 Hz tone has a wavelength of about 50 feet.

This means the woofer placement is irrelevant below this frequency.

OTOH the standing wave region then occurs between 60 and 600 Hz or an octave
higher than the typical living room.

So when people turn the woofer around they may be hearing changes at 100,200 Hz
and such. This isn't "low bass". If the system was effectively low passed then
this kind of issue is relatively less important.

Also woofer systems, especially bass reflex systems, can have out-of-band
artifacts such as IM and AM distortion (which comes as higher frequency
sounds), port grunts or midrange sound reflected from the backwall of the
enclosure through the cone that may be reduced if the woofer is faced away from
the listener. Again these are NOT bass effects.

But this is what people "hear" when they re-orient the woofer direction.

These are all well-known and verifyable issues that Eddie either knows nothing
about or just doesn't care. He'd rather just shout "LIAR" instead of dealing
with real acoustics and audio engineering issues.